2013 Primary Concerns
Another off-year primary election has come and gone and it looks like the voters of Spokane (You!) did alright this time around. City Council races are often overlooked as the political thrillers they really are, or is it just me?
Now the real party beings, from now until the General Election in November, these candidates can guarantee a show.
Early on in the primary election cycle, this district gave me high hopes for, if nothing else, a hilarious race. Most notable as being quotable, ex-candidate Mark Hamilton was tossed from the race because he could not prove residency within his district for the past year. Basically he was saying that he was living in a house on Pacific avenue that didn’t have power or running water. So he either didn’t live there or was some incarnation of the Unabomber. He was also quoted as saying, “Hookerville” when referring to a location in Spokane. By ousting him from the race, I think Spokane was sold short on what could have been a hell of a comedy show. He would have been an easy opponent for incumbent Councilwoman Amber Waldref. Though now running unopposed, the Councilwoman is still hitting the streets and talking to voters to earn the vote of her constituency.
Jon V. John
The results of this face-off were expected. With 55% of the vote incumbent Jon Snyder dominated this race and the other 45% split between perennial politico John Ahern and first time conservative candidate LaVerne Biel. Jon Snyder is one of the hardest working people on and off the campaign trail. With an exemplary record of supporting all things good for Spokane like Complete Streets, police accountability, and helping Spokane make the steps towards smart urban development, Councilman Snyder deserved the win.
Now with Biel out of the race, the vote that was once spilt between Ahern is now up for grabs. Which is only concerning because somehow in the past Spokane voters elected John Ahern to the State House of Representatives. Ahern has a track record of saying dumb shit. Like the time he asked a group of teenage volunteer lobbyists from Planned Parenthood how many babies they had killed that year. In addition to being indicative of ignorance, that behavior also paints Ahern as a staunch, old-school conservative that is unable to effectively interact with his constituency. Ahern has won races before, that man knows how to doorbell his geriatric ass off. He might look like your cooky grandfather, Ahern is a threat to accessible city government and an even bigger threat to making smart progress in Spokane.
Take heed, voters. This is going to be a wild ride.
District 3 is keeping it cool this time around. No real loons here. Businesswoman and union favorite, Candace Mumm took the lead in the primary at about 56% of the vote. Michael Cannon, the well-funded conservative golden boy made it through the primary to face off with Mumm in November. This is going to be a close one, Cannon and Mumm are both politically savvy, but Candance Mumm gets it. She has been involved with the city’s Planning Commission in the 3rd district, and seems to understand the relationship between a well planned city and overall vibrancy and livability. When we make the investment in a well planned, intentional community we are advocating for longterm economic vitality.
Though FOX News isn’t slinging mud and the staff at MSNBC still calls us Spocane, this is still a hot, hot year for our city. These decisions are the difference between political gridlock and a new lease on a pretty cool city.